Standards and Practices Program
Maine Coast Heritage Trust has designed the Standards and Practices Program to support and advance the operational quality and sustainability of land trusts in Maine through the implementation of a select set of Land Trust Standards and Practices. Maine land trusts are accepted into this program as funding permits. While the program is currently full, MCHT may apply for additional funds if there is sufficient interest. Interested land trusts should contact Warren Whitney at the address listed below.
The Standards and Practices Program is not a grants program and no direct funding is provided. Rather, the Program awards up to 70 hours of direct consultant support, provided over a two-year period by Caroline Pryor, Maureen Hoffman and Paul Hoffman, all experienced land trust practitioners and trainers. Each trust is assigned one consultant, but all will be on call to help other trusts with specific needs.
- A Maine Land Trust Network (MLTN) member trust
- All volunteer or less than one FTE staffed organization
- Not a current participant in the Maine Excellence Program or have participated in the Nonprofit Effectiveness Initiative, held earlier this year
- Tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code
- Initial meeting: Following a trust’s acceptance into the program, Caroline Pryor will meet with the board and staff to discuss the scope and timing of the project.
- Assessment: Caroline Pryor will work with the trust on an assessment of its strength in the following four areas, using the relevant sections of the Assessing Your Organization workbook published by the Land Trust Alliance:
- Evaluating and selecting conservation projects
- Procedures for sound transactions and recordkeeping
- Stewardship practices and capacity
- Financial asset management
- Plan and implementation: Caroline Pryor and the trust will work together to identify the Practices that will be the focus of this project and create and implement a plan to bring the trust into compliance with those Practices.
Land Trust Program Manager
1 Bowdoin Mill Island – Suite 201
Topsham, Maine 04086