Impacts: Land Trusts Work for Maine
The Maine Land Trust Network surveyed the state’s land trusts in the summer and fall of 2017 to paint a full picture of the beneficial role land trusts play in communities across Maine.
- Providing Public Access - Maine’s network of more than 75 land trusts has significantly increased public access to the outdoors.
- Enhancing Public Lands - Recreational amenities provided by land trust conserved lands are part of a larger network of conservation lands in Maine.
- Benefiting Maine’s Economy - Land trust partner with many businesses and organizations.
- Supporting Natural Resource Jobs - Maine land trusts are focused on the conservation of the state’s working landscapes.
- Strengthening Local Communities - Apart from welcoming visitors to public preserves, Maine land trusts serve communities in many other ways.
- Private Sector Answer to Public Needs - Maine has one of the most active land trust communities in the nation, with more land trusts per capita than any other state.
- Most Trust Lands Are on Tax Rolls - Public lands in Maine and around the country are exempt from paying property taxes.