Downeast Salmon Federation
Opening posted: 03/11/2020 | Expires: 04/15/2020
The Downeast Salmon Federation, based in Columbia Falls, Maine, is seeking an Associate Director. For thirty-five years, DSF has been working to restore the Atlantic salmon and other sea-run fish to the rivers and streams of eastern Maine. As Associate Director, you will be on the frontlines of a growing campaign to restore ecosystems that have been destroyed or damaged by centuries of industrial use. You will watch fish return to rivers that have been empty of them since dams were built blocking them from the sea. You will be part of the campaign to bring the fish back.
It’s an exciting job in a beautiful part of the world. The Associate Director supervises the organization’s administrative, financial, and membership systems. The AD will be responsible for generating between 60-70% of DSF’s annual revenue by researching and submitting grant proposals to private and public funding sources. The AD will manage the grant awards to ensure that deliverables are met, projects are within budget, and reporting requirements are fulfilled.
The AD has considerable autonomy and is encouraged to work as a key team member to initiate new projects that support both DSF’s administrative functions and its programmatic objectives. DSF is looking for someone with energy, enthusiasm, focus and a relentless drive to make big things happen.
- Responsible for the efficient execution of DSF’s administrative functions
- Manage administrative staff, which includes an office manager, administrative assistant, and bookkeeper
- In collaboration with the bookkeeper, ensure accurate and timely financial reports
- In collaboration with the administrative assistant, ensure that the membership system provides the information needed to retain members and track donations
- Identify and develop new grant funding sources
- Write and submit proposals to federal, state, and private funders
- Manage grant awards—including budgets, invoicing, deliverables, and reporting
- Report to the Executive Director and board of directors on all administrative, financial, and human resources issues
- Support board committees
- Strong commitment to fish, river and land conservation
- Strong communication and presentation skills; writing skills must be excellent
- Experience writing grants or other technical documents that tell a story
- Experience in management, fundraising, outreach, and marketing
- Ability to cultivate and develop constructive and effective relationships
- A team player with the ability to productively work with staff, volunteers, and the board
- Ability to work independently
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the non-profit sector, advocacy, or related for-profit area
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Full time, with competitive salary and benefits based on experience and qualifications.
LOCATION: Washington County, ME. We have two offices, one located in Columbia Falls and the other in East Machias.
START DATE: ASAP.