Baxter State Park Lands Manager
Baxter State Park Authority
Opening posted: 08/30/2022 | Expires: 10/14/2022
BAXTER PARK LANDS MANAGER
$61,019.71 – $82,831.44 (Includes 16% Non-Standard stipend; New hires start at Step 1)
Are you a talented forestry professional looking for an opportunity to further explore the silviculture of the Northeast? Do you seek out new challenges and varying tasks daily? Are you looking to expand and further develop your forest management career? You’ll find working at Baxter State Park is not just a job, it’s an adventure.
As the Lands Manager for Baxter State Park, principal responsibilities include the following:
• Manages all aspects of an on-going long-term forest management system with a focus on resource sustainability and scientifically sound silviculture.
• Develops, coordinates, and oversees annual road maintenance and large-scale capital improvement projects on the Park Tote Road System with a focus on water quality protection and climate resiliency.
• Develops, evaluates and administers all contracts related to land management, including harvest services, wood sale agreements, and infrastructure maintenance, improvement and construction.
• Supervises a Forester I and contracted logging and/or construction crews
• Some of the most remote, rugged country in the Northeastern US, including Katahdin, Maine’s highest peak, 46 other mountain summits, more than 50 pristine lakes and ponds, and over 200 miles of hiking trails.
• A supportive, dedicated, and team-oriented staff committed to fulfilling the unique mission of Baxter State Park
• The Scientific Forest Management Area (SFMA) – almost 30,000 acres of well-stocked land managed primarily for timber and natural resource objectives.
• Health Insurance Coverage – The State of Maine pays 85%-100% of employee-only premiums ($10.150.80-$11,345.04 annual value), depending on salary.
• Dental Insurance – The State of Maine pays 100% of employee-only dental premiums ($350.40 annual value).
• Retirement Plan – The State of Maine contributes 17.96% of pay to the Maine Public Employees Retirement System (MainePERS), on behalf of the employee.
• Learn about additional wellness benefits for State employees from the Office of Employee Health and Wellness.
• Three (3) years’ experience in forest management, ecosystem management or a directly related natural resource field.
• A Bachelor’s Degree. Directly related experience may be substituted for educational requirements on a year-for-year basis.
• Have, or be able to obtain, licensure as a Licensed Forester from the Maine State Board of Licensure of Foresters within one (1) year from date of employment.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Working knowledge of geographic information systems (GIS).
You May Also Have:
• Strong knowledge of silviculture, forest operations, entomology and plant pathology.
• Strong knowledge of forest management and timber harvesting principles, practices, and procedures.
• Knowledge of Acadian Forest ecology, history, and management.
• Ability to safely work in remote wilderness settings in challenging and demanding environmental conditions.
Preference will be given to any candidate with supervisory experience and experience in wilderness resource management.
1. Summarize your experience with silviculture and harvesting operations.
2. Summarize your experience with cruising and forest inventory.
3. Summarize you experience with growth and yield modeling.
4. Summarize your experience with GIS data management and analysis.
5. Summarize your experience managing or maintaining road infrastructure.
6. Describe your philosophy of and experience in forest management planning.
7. Describe your experience working with public and private groups and organizations to explain and promote forestry, forest management, and forest conservation.
8. Summarize your experience marketing forest products.
9. Describe your experience as a member of a team.
10. Please provide examples of how you have achieved innovation in past work experiences.
Please submit the following documentation through the link –
• Cover letter
• Supplemental Questionnaire
FAILURE TO PROVIDE ANY OF THESE MATERIALS WILL RESULT IN FAILURE TO MEET THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS.
Are you ready to begin your adventure at Baxter State Park, the iconic four-season wilderness park, as a dedicated and hardworking Lands Manager?