Climate Smart Commodities – Forest Biometrician
New England Forestry Foundation
Opening posted: 03/10/2023 | Expires: 05/10/2023
Apply via website Apply via email
The New England Forestry Foundation (NEFF) stands at a pivotal moment of opportunity for advancing cutting edge forest-based climate solutions across New England and beyond. NEFF is an advocate for forest-climate solutions, a generator of new information and science on how Exemplary Forestry can advance the integrated goals of ecological health, forest carbon, and a dynamic bioeconomy, a conservation landowner that actively manages forest land, and an active collaborator in support of ecologically aligned forestry.
This position posting comes in the context of a significant period of growth for NEFF focused on how climate-smart forestry can be implemented across New England and as a national and international model for climate-smart forestry on private lands. The USDA recently awarded NEFF a $30 million grant under their Partnerships for Climate-Smart Commodities(CSC) program for the New England Climate Smart Commodities Partnership project. This program represents an unprecedented opportunity to pilot scalable, carbon-saving forest management practices as part of a systems approach including forestland protection, wildland preservation and building with wood to store carbon and displace carbon-intensive materials. Through this program, NEFF will define and implement a groundbreaking and nationally relevant pilot program in New England to build a climate-smart forest-based economy as a powerful tool for climate action.
About the Position
The Biometrician will be intimately involved with all forest-centered analytical work needed to implement NEFF’s Climate-Smart Commodities grant, such as quantifying the carbon benefits of the forestry practices incentivized through the grant, assessing the potential for leakage of climate impacts; as well as analyzing statistics for avoiding the problem of leakage, and conducting other analyses as needed.
NEFF works to inform public policymakers, the forestry and climate-related community, and other forestry professionals with statistical analysis and modeling relevant to improving forest management in New England. The biometrician will have primary responsibility for these analyses. NEFF also synthesizes forestry and other natural resource information to advance improved forest management in the region. The principal example of this work to date is the Exemplary Forestry standards for the Acadian Forest and the companion standards for Central and Transition Hardwoods. NEFF also seeks to advance improved forest management in New England and beyond by publishing original research, syntheses of current science, and scientific commentary in relevant and influential publications, including peer-reviewed journals.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Biometrician will be principally responsible for NEFF’s statistical analyses and modeling to support all the organization’s analytic and forestry-related research efforts. The biometrician will be responsible for a dynamic program including research on new issues that arise, writing draft articles for publication, and contributing to syntheses to advance improved forest management.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Modeling of forest growth in response to different silvicultural prescriptions.
- Contributing to modeling financial returns from different styles of forest management.
- Conducting statistical analysis.
- Contributing to refining and promoting Exemplary Forestry.
- Developing strong partnerships with other organizations working to advance improved forest management.
- Building relationships with the NGO community, foresters, and the forest products industry.
- Contributing to and supporting the development of the science components of a new Center that has been created within NEFF to advance the cause of Exemplary Forestry.
- Research for reports and articles, including drafting at least one article per year on the most important related topics for publication in a peer-reviewed journal.
- Outreach to the public and other stakeholders.
Skills & Experience
- Dedication to and knowledge of forest conservation, forestry, and climate change issues.
- In-depth knowledge of databases on forestry issues, including Forest Inventory and Analysis data from the US Forest Service.
- In-depth knowledge of the methods of statistical analysis.
- In-depth knowledge of forest modeling, including Forest Vegetation Simulator and how to calibrate it to provide accurate estimates for local conditions, as well as familiarity with and/or the capacity to learn other modeling software, such as LANDIS and Woodstock, if needed.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional organizational and prioritization skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Understanding and appreciation of the New England Forestry Foundation‘s unique niche among conservation organizations.
- Master’s Degree with at least three years of experience working on forestry and/or climate mitigation issues.
Compensation, Location & Other Information
- Salary for this position is $100,000 – $130,000 commensurate with experience.
- New England Forestry Foundation offers a comprehensive benefits package for full-time employees including health/dental/vision insurances, paid time off, parental leave, retirement plan with employer match and vesting, and a congenial and flexible working environment.
- Location for this position is flexible within the New England region. It will require travel across New England and to the organization’s Prouty Woods headquarters in Littleton, Massachusetts.
New England Forestry Foundation is an equal employment opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. NEFF commits to respecting and learning from different perspectives, reflecting the diverse citizens and communities of New England. In hiring, mentoring, and managing staff, the organization seeks to maintain a diverse, supportive, friendly, and discrimination-free workplace.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample via email to Kim Doherty at . Please use CSC Forest Biometrician as the subject line of your submission. Positions will be filled on a rolling basis.