Development and Outreach Manager
Downeast Lakes Land Trust
Opening posted: 09/03/2020 | Expires: 09/30/2020
Downeast Lakes Land Trust
The Downeast Lakes Land Trust (DLLT) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization based in Grand Lake Stream, with a mission to contribute to the long-term economic and environmental well-being of the Downeast Lakes region through the conservation and exemplary management of its forests and waters. DLLT sustainably manages the 55,678-acre Downeast Lakes Community Forest for wildlife habitat, forest products, and public recreation.
DLLT is not a membership-based organization, but it has an engaged donor base of more than 900 supporters and strong relationships with numerous grantmaking organizations. DLLT engages in twice-annual appeals in support of the general fund, and maintains a growing list of corporate sponsors. During three large capital campaigns, DLLT and partners have raised more than $58 million for land conservation in the Downeast Lakes region.
The Development & Outreach Manager (DOM) develops and manages DLLT’s fundraising activities, cultivates donors, and manages DLLT’s outreach communications. The DOM works under the supervision of the President and CEO. This is a full-time, managerial position which will require some work on weekends, holidays, and during non-traditional hours. The DOM is expected to reside within commuting distance of Grand Lake Stream, Maine. Frequent in-state travel and periodic travel out of state will be required.
Specific areas of responsibility include:
Outreach and Public Relations:
- Writes and develops print, online, and social media outreach materials, donor communications, and media relations.
- Prepares material in a timely fashion allowing for considered review and timely publishing.
- Plans and coordinates outreach and special events, and provides information on and promotes DLLT programs, plans, and policies to the DLLT community, other organizations, and the media.
- Writes grant proposals for operational and program support, and reports grant progress to private foundations and public agencies.
- Helps the CEO & President with capital campaigns.
- Researches donors, foundations, and grant programs, and develops donor relations in support of overall fundraising objectives.
- Develops relationships with new donors and grant makers. Strengthens and maintains relationships with existing supporters.
- Develops and implements fundraising strategies, budgets, and reporting mechanisms for general fund appeals, capital campaigns, corporate sponsorships, and planned giving.
Board & Committee Support:
- Prepares documents and reports for the committees and board as requested.
- Attends and participates in committee meetings including but not limited to Development Committee and Campaign Committee(s).
Staff & Volunteer Support:
- Coordinates with other staff and committee members to synthesize information from all DLLT committees in support of outreach and communication agendas and reports to the committees and board.
Location: The position is based in Grand Lake Stream, Maine. This is a small, rural community (winter pop. 80) with a traditional natural resource-based economy focused on outdoor recreational tourism and the timber products industry.
- Substantial fundraising experience, preferably for a land trust or conservation organization and including grants, general fund appeals, and high-capacity donor cultivation
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be comfortable living and working in a small community in rural Maine.
- Flexibility with time management & job duties
- Self-starter with helpful attitude
- Organized and timely with communication
- Familiar with Microsoft Office & Gift Works
Compensation: Salary and benefits (including group plan health insurance, paid vacation, and retirement) commensurate with qualifications and comparable to similar positions.
To Apply: Send resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 references in a single document by email to , ATTN: Development & Outreach Manager. For more information on the Downeast Lakes Land Trust, see www.downeastlakes.org. DLLT is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Deadline: Review of applications will begin after Friday, September 18th, and will continue until the position is filled.