Northeast Wilderness Trust
Opening posted: 09/14/2023 | Expires: 10/13/2023
Reports to: Executive Director
Position Type: Full-time, salaried
Location: Montpelier, VT – an office/work-from-home hybrid system
Starting Salary: $96,500
Northeast Wilderness Trust’s (NEWT) mission is to conserve forever-wild landscapes for nature and people. We safeguard more than 76,000 wild acres across New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, and Connecticut. We are the only regional land trust focused exclusively on rewilding through forever-wild conservation. Northeast Wilderness Trust has a supportive organizational culture and is committed to a just and equitable world and workplace.
As Finance Director, you will be responsible for all aspects of financial management, accounting, audits, and administrative support for a mission-focused nonprofit with a $2million annual operating budget. Experiencing a strong period of organizational growth, you will play a critical role in analyzing and advancing current systems, practices, and policies.
What You Will Do:
- Oversee the execution of day-to-day financial operations, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and cash management;
- Develop and implement financial policies and procedures to ensure compliance with accounting standards, nonprofit regulations, and internal controls;
- Prepare and analyze financial statements, budgets, and cash flow projections;
- Facilitate land acquisition closings, capitalization, impairment, and tax requirements;
- Work with Carbon Specialist and Executive Director on carbon offsets program;
- Manage annual audit and preparation of Form 990 as well as maintain relationships with external auditor and other financial service providers;
- Monitor and manage the organization’s investment portfolio in conjunction with the Organization’s investment advisors, working with the finance committee to ensure appropriate risk management and diversification;
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to develop and implement financial strategies that support the organization’s mission and long-term goals;
- Work with program staff to prepare grant budgets, financial reports, and other funding proposals;
- Provide regular financial reports to the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and other stakeholders as required;
- Continuously evaluate the organizations financial system and internal control environment for scalability;
- Serve as the primary liaison to the Finance Committee;
- Other duties as required.
What You Will Bring to the Wilderness Trust:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field. CPA or MBA preferred;
- At least 5-7 years of experience in nonprofit accounting and financial management;
- Experience working with land trusts or similar organizations desired but not required;
- Proficient with QuickBooks or similar accounting software;
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles and nonprofit standards including accounting for restricted funds;
- Experience in budgeting, forecasting, and financial analysis;
- Experience with identifying and implementing business process improvements;
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to communicate financial information to non-financial stakeholders;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse stakeholders and build strong relationships;
- Enjoyment of working in a fast-paced, mission-driven, and team-oriented work environment;
- An ambitious, collaborative, self-starting, and can-do attitude;
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills to meet deadlines and manage multiple long-term and short-term tasks simultaneously;
- Ability and willingness to travel as needed across the region and carry a valid driver’s license;
- Willingness to work outside of position’s prime focus and collaborate with other staff on various tasks;
- A commitment to conservation and wild nature.
Northeast Wilderness Trust offers competitive and progressive benefits including: medical, dental and vision insurance; 401k retirement plan with 4% employer match, life insurance, generous paid time off, parental leave, flexible scheduling; and sabbatical leave. A moving stipend is available.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume with three professional references as a single combined PDF to with the subject “Finance Director.” Application deadline is October 13, 2023 with review and interviews happening on a rolling basis.
Northeast Wilderness Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to diversity, equity and inclusion. We recognize that diverse teams make the strongest teams and we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.