Good Tern Co-op
Opening posted: 11/13/2019 | Expires: 12/31/2019
Good Tern Natural Foods Co-op is a 40-year-old natural foods retail cooperative with over 1,800 members located in Rockland, Maine. Our values are based on democratic and sustainable principles. We have a strong commitment to supporting local producers, carrying a wide range of organic and eco-friendly products, and value our working member system. Our staff and membership are committed to healthy foods, customer service, and cooperative ideals. We have experienced steady growth over the last decade. In 2018 we acquired the Bagel Shop on the adjacent lot, and we plan to build a new store on the combined lots.
General Manager Job Description
The general manager reports to the board of directors, which is elected by the members of the cooperative. The general manager has the authority to hire and direct all other staff.
- Oversee all store operations for the Good Tern and Bagel Shop, including a staff of 30.
- Develop a budget, direct all financial operations, and report to board on financial performance.
- Implement a margin strategy with a goal of being price competitive while maintaining sufficient net income.
- Partner with the Board to develop a strategic plan focused on expansion of the co-op.
- Develop a marketing strategy to increase awareness of the co-op’s offerings and build on the relationships in the community.
- Hire, supervise, and develop staff with a focus on positive reinforcement and empowerment.
- Conduct regular performance evaluations for staff.
- Ensure a welcoming and well-maintained store environment for staff, members, and customers.
- Perform other duties assigned by the board of directors
- Experience in retail management
- Supervision experience, including supervising other managers
- Financial management skills: creating and managing to a budget (operating, capital and cash budgets)
- Ability to build and lead teams
- Collaboration: open to hearing multiple voices and participating in democratic processes
- Willingness and ability to work 45-50 hours/week
To learn more about Good Tern Co-op, visit our website: https://goodtern.com/about/