Mount Desert Island Assistant Steward (Seasonal Full Time)
Maine Coast Heritage Trust
Opening posted: 02/09/2024 | Expires: 03/08/2024
- Would you like to spend your summer exploring Maine’s beautiful coast and islands?
- Are you interested in working with an organization whose focus is on protecting and caring for vital lands on the coast and contributing to community well-being in Maine?
- Do you dive into your work with a sense of enthusiasm, curiosity, and determination?
If you answered yes to these questions, maybe you’d love to be an Assistant Seasonal Steward with Maine Coast Heritage Trust!
Maine Coast Heritage Trust is seeking 3 to 4 assistant stewards for the 2024 season. These positions are full time seasonal roles that will last 5 – 7 months (range of May through October – exact dates to be determined). The work will include a variety of different stewardship projects, with an emphasis on helping regional stewards from Penobscot Bay to Washington County. The 4-day work week is mostly based out of the MDI office but throughout the season there will be several multi-day/overnight trips further afield in southern Maine or in Downeast area. Tasks requiring physical labor represent 90% or more of the position’s focus, with both work in the field and related support needs at our facilities. Frequent weekend work may be required.
- Preserve monitoring & maintenance, including trail work, mowing and weed whacking, boundary marking, field maintenance, and interacting with the public.
- Miscellaneous carpentry work on kiosks, barn infrastructure and other small
- Equipment and tool maintenance
- Invasive plant management using herbicide and mechanical methods under the direction of regional
- Participation in and coordination of volunteer centered projects including community garden maintenance, beach cleanups, trail work and event staging.
- Data entry and record
Skills and Experience Sought:
- Ability and desire to perform hard physical
- Experience working in the field, alone and with
- Good verbal and written communication and interpersonal
- Experience operating and maintaining the following: Chain saw, brush saw and hand Will provide training if necessary.
- Experience building and maintaining
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Valid Driver’s License and use of a
- Good sense of humor when the weather is bad and the bugs are
- Experience working with invasive plants and Maine Board of Pesticide Control certification
- Good basic seamanship skills and experience operating power boats
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
Field work is performed outdoors in all weather conditions and requires climbing, walking, bending, crouching, lifting, reaching, and other physical capabilities. Regular travel is required. MCHT shares work trucks that are available for employee use, but in the event that the Assistant Steward needs to use their own vehicle, mileage will be reimbursed at the Maine state rate. Some work is performed in a normal office environment not subject to extremes of noise, temperature, odor, etc. Operates computers, printers, and other office equipment.
This is a seasonal position (approximately May thru October). The rate of pay will be $18.00 per hour.
There is shared housing available for these positions. PTO is provided (accrued at 1 hour per every 40 hours worked.)
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and is subject to change by the employer, as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Maine Coast Heritage Trust does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. We are an equal opportunity employer dedicated to creating an inclusive culture where employees from diverse backgrounds can thrive and support our mission.
*External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.