Mount Desert Island Assistant Stewards (seasonal full-time)
Maine Coast Heritage Trust
Opening posted: 02/05/2021 | Expires: 03/03/2021
Maine Coast Heritage Trust (MCHT) is looking for seasonal stewardship assistants to work with MCHT stewardship staff based in our Mount Desert Island office. The positions are for 5-7 months (from May through October – exact dates to be determined). Applicants must be self-motivated individuals able to work independently, and as part of a team. The work will include a variety of different stewardship tasks, with an emphasis on helping regional stewards from Penobscot Bay to Washington County with some occasional time further afield. Frequent weekend work will be required.
- Preserve monitoring & maintenance, including trail work, boundary marking, field maintenance, interacting with the public.
- Conservation easement monitoring, under the supervision of regional stewards.
- Miscellaneous carpentry work on kiosks, barn infrastructure and other small structures.
- Invasives management under the direction of regional stewards.
- Participation in and coordination of volunteer beach clean ups and other activities.
- Data entry and record keeping.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE SOUGHT:
- Good verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working in the field, alone and with others.
- Ability and desire to perform hard physical work.
- Experience operating and maintaining the following: Chain saw, brush saw and hand tools. Will provide training if necessary.
- Experience building and maintaining backcountry trails.
- Good sense of humor when the weather is bad and the bugs are biting.
- Natural history knowledge/interpretation experience.
- Experience working with invasive plants and Maine Board of Pesticide Control certification desirable.
- Good basic seamanship skills and experience operating power boats desirable.
- Valid Driver’s License and use of a vehicle.
Field work is performed outdoors in all weather conditions and requires climbing, walking, bending, crouching, lifting, reaching, and other physical capabilities. Regular travel is required. Some work is performed in a normal office environment not subject to extremes of noise, temperature, odor, etc. Operates computer, printer, and other office equipment
SALARY: The Seasonal Stewardship Assistants will be paid $16/hour on a bi-weekly basis. Work related travel will be reimbursed at 56 cents per mile. Staff housing may be available. COVID protocols will be required.
Maine Coast Heritage Trust does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. We are an equal opportunity employer dedicated to creating an inclusive culture where employees from diverse backgrounds can thrive and support our mission.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position
*External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.