Northern New England Land Steward
Northeast Wilderness Trust
Opening posted: 12/21/2021 | Expires: 02/01/2022
Position: Northern New England Land Steward
Reports to: Stewardship Manager
Position Type: Full-time salaried
Location: Home-office, preference in or willing to relocate to within 1 hour of Bethel, Maine.
Northeast Wilderness Trust (NEWT) conserves forever-wild landscapes for nature and people. NEWT safeguards more than 57,000 acres across New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, and Connecticut. Northeast Wilderness Trust is the only regional land trust focused exclusively on wilderness conservation.
The Wilderness Trust seeks an enthusiastic professional with a passion for wilderness conservation and land stewardship for a new full-time position. The Northern New England Land Steward will work remotely as a member of our growing team to perform on-the-ground stewardship of wilderness preserves and other conserved lands across northern New England, primarily in Maine. The Land Steward will also build partnerships to further our mission. This position will be primarily field-based with periodic office work as well.
The Land Steward’s responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Monitor properties owned by NEWT and those on which the organization holds conservation easements. A signficant portion of the stewardship role will be focused on properties in Maine.
• Property maintenance including marking boundaries, trash removal, and taking steps to prevent trespass by motorized and mechanized vehicles.
• In collaboration with the Stewardship Manager, work diligently with landowners to ensure easement compliance and good relationships.
• Coordinate work days on NEWT preserves with volunteers in the community.
• Conduct site visits to potential conservation project properties.
Outreach and Other
• Community and partnership development acress northern New England with an emphasis on the Western Maine Mountains.
• Coordinate and lead field trips and donor walks.
• Assist with developing baseline documentation reports and map-making.
• Outreach and training for stewardship volunteers.
• Develop northern New England-focused outreach material in collaboration with outreach staff, stewardship staff, and community contacts.
• Administrative work, including but not limited to, annual property monitoring reports, grant writing, and other tasks as needed.
The Land Steward reports directly to the Stewardship Manager and will work closely with the Southern New England Land Steward. The Land Steward will also work collaboratively with other staff.
Relevant Experience and Skills:
• Ability and desire to work outside, often in remote locations.
• Self-starting and ability to work independently.
• Excellent interpersonal skills to work effectively with a small staff and represent NEWT in the community.
• Experience or familiarity with land trusts, conserved lands, working outdoors, or other relevant fields.
• Ability to work professionally with a wide variety of stakeholder groups.
• Exceptional organizational and time management skills.
• Familiarity with GPS/GIS technologies.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office.
• Willingness to work outside of your job description and work collaboratively with the team on changing priorities and a variety of projects simultaneously.
• Must be able to stand for long periods of time, walk outdoors on uneven terrain, lift and carry up to 50lbs, and use tools necessary for land monitoring and management.
• Ability and willingness to frequently travel across the region and carry a valid driver’s license.
• Willing to maintain current Wilderness First Aid/Responder certification (training will be provided by NEWT)
• Adequate home internet connection to stay connected with staff over Zoom.
This position description is a general overview, not a comprehensive nor mandatory list. As an organization, we value a variety of experiences and backgrounds and candidates who are eager to learn and grow with our organization. If you feel passionate about our mission and believe you have the aptitude and skills to succeed in this position, we encourage you to apply.
Salary Range: $40,000 – $45,000 DOE
Benefits offered by Northeast Wilderness Trust:
Northeast Wilderness Trust offers a very competitive benefits package including: health, dental, vision and life insurance; 401k plan; 21 days of PTO; a hybrid work from home/office schedule; short-term leave; professional development opportunities; sabbatical leave; and relocation stipend.
Anticipated Start Date: April 1st, 2022 (flexible)
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume with three professional references as a single combined PDF file to Hannah Epstein, Stewardship Manager at . Application deadline is February 1st, 2022.
Northeast Wilderness Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating a supportive work environment through a culture of inclusion, integrity and accountability. We strongly encourage people from all backgrounds including people of color, indigenous, immigrants and refugees, LGBTQ+ and people with disabilities to apply.