Maine Conservation Voters/Maine Conservation Alliance
Opening posted: 03/11/2021 | Expires: 04/09/2021
Maine Conservation Voters (MCV) and Maine Conservation Alliance (MCA), two state-wide, nonpartisan, nonprofit organizations, are seeking a detail-oriented individual to join our staff as full-time Operations Director.
Our vision for the future grows from the powerful commitment of Maine people to tackle climate change; safeguard our air, land, and water; protect voting rights; and nurture economic opportunities afforded by clean energy and good environmental stewardship. MCV/MCA is committed to creating a culture of equity and inclusion in our organization.
Job Description: The Operations Director will support our organizations’ missions, strategic plans, and priorities by working to manage our human resources, financial, and internal operations.
We are looking to hire: A highly motivated, efficiency-driven, reliable and detail-oriented professional with demonstrated experience managing multiple projects at a time, working as part of a team, navigating internal priorities, and fluency in moderate/advanced computer literacy.
Desired Abilities and Knowledge:
- Understanding of nonprofit financial management, legal requirements, and best practices
- Excellent attention to detail and follow-through
- Commitment to excellence and improving organizational systems
- People-centered approach to operations
- Experience supervising staff
- Experience with managing contracts and contractors
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Understanding of IT systems, databases, and tech savviness
- Strong project management skills – able to map out a plan, proactively communicate with stakeholders, plan for mistakes, and debrief for lessons learned
- Commitment to working well with staff, board members, volunteers, and the public
Activities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Direct the planning, implementation, and ongoing operation and improvement of all administrative systems including but not limited to financial management, human resources, IT systems, benefits administration, annual evaluations, strategic planning, and staff training and development.
- Supervise administrative staff and contractors.
- Contribute to the overall strategic direction of the organization and translate goals into operational plans.
- Provide a strong day-to-day leadership presence for all staff.
- Manage MCV/MCA’s overall budget, cash flow and finances in coordination with the Executive Director and Board Finance Committees.
- Manage contractors to ensure accurate bookkeeping and regular financial reporting.
- Lead annual tax filings and audits in coordination with bookkeeper and accounting firm.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; create and update financial policies and procedure manual.
- Negotiate contracts with and manage all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants.
- Manage and maintain insurance policies.
- Manage human resource initiatives, including recruitment, hiring, and promotions; facilitate employee on-boarding and off-boarding.
- Maintain and update employee handbook, guides, and training materials.
- Facilitate performance evaluation process; enhance professional development; review and manage compensation and benefits.
- Maintain legal compliance with all state and municipal laws in regard to business registration, charitable registration, employment law, and workers’ compensation.
- Help manage the organizations’ internship program, including hiring, onboarding, and offboarding, in coordination with program staff.
- Manage Administrative Coordinator position.
- Develop and improve operational systems for staff efficiency and effectiveness.
- Ensure there is clarity and documentation of processes across systems.
- Provide training and resources to staff on all systems.
- Plan for long range IT, communications, and digital technology.
- Ensure Cybersecurity procedures are created and implemented, using external support when needed.
- Maintain EveryAction database contract, train new personnel on basic functionality, and troubleshoot issues.
- Carry out all of the responsibilities listed above in accordance with the mission statement, goals, and philosophy of MCV/MCA.
- Other duties as assigned.
MCV/MCA is an EEO Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender identity, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, or marital status. PLEASE NOTE: While this position is based in our Augusta office, MCV/MCA staff are working remotely at this time.
The salary for this position is $60,000/year. MCV/MCA also provides holiday and paid time off, health/dental/vision insurance, and a 3% SEP IRA retirement benefit match.