Plant Contol Crew Member
Friends of the Cobbossee Watershed
Opening posted: 02/09/2024 | Expires: 06/10/2024
The Friends of the Cobbossee Watershed was founded in 2001 as a citizen grass-roots effort to assist in the protection of local water quality. The Friends educational and conservation programs aim to manage two major concerns in our watershed: Aquatic Invasive Species and Non-Point Source pollution.
The Friend’s Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) program utilizes a few manual control methods to manage the three known aquatic invasive species in our watershed, primarily on Cobbossee Lake. Control methods include Diver Assisted Suction Harvesting (DASH) via pontoon boat, manual hand removal using surface-supplied air, or the installation of benthic barriers.
The Plant Control crew works with the Coordinator and Director of Conservation to use best management practices on infested waterbodies. Team members will work on the Plant Survey crew when not in active management. Work can be expected from June through August with some work into September as available.
The Friends are seeking responsible and driven team players to fulfill the position of Plant Control crew at $16/hour for 35 hrs/week. Active dive pay is additional.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, particularly with the public.
• Attention to detail in filling out data forms, creating reports and maps, and following plant survey/control plans.
• Ability to work in a small group positively.
• Work as a plant survey team member when not in active control efforts.
• Experience driving boats is a plus.
• SCUBA certification or ability to become certified before May.
• Willingness to work in difficult situations; low underwater visibility, cold
temperatures, and depths that may be dark or hard to maneuver in.
• Available June to August, work may be available into September.
• Submit plant control data and help with promoting the work done by the team.
• Assisting with care and maintenance/sanitization of work equipment, such as boats, kayaks, SCUBA equipment, life vests, Aquascopes, etc.
• Fulfill other duties as assigned to further the mission of the organization.
• Familiarity with motorized boats and safe boating practices on lakes.
• Ability to tow and launch boats safely while following Clean, Drain, Dry protocols.
• Familiarity with botany and/or plant identification, aquatic species a bonus.
• High energy level with a positive attitude.
• Interest in environmental issues, with a focus on watershed ecology and invasive species.
To Apply: Please email a resume, cover letter, and three references to Alex Dyer, Director of Conservation at or send to Friends of the Cobbossee Watershed, PO Box 206, East Winthrop Maine, 04343