Great Works Regional Land Trust
Opening posted: 04/18/2023 | Expires: 05/31/2023
Apply via website Apply via email
Great Works Regional Land Trust (GWRLT) seeks a Property Steward for a full-time (35 hours/week), year-round position to help manage and maintain GWRLT properties in our six-town service area. Position open until filled.
GWRLT is a member-supported nonprofit organization that protects forests, farms, and water quality in the six towns of Eliot, South Berwick, Berwick, North Berwick, Wells, Ogunquit in southern Maine. Our mission is to conserve the value of the area’s natural, historic, agricultural, forestry, scenic, and recreational resources. We pursue this mission by holding property and conservation easements where these values are present. GWRLT owns over 3,200 acres, offering 20 preserves with 32 miles of trails.
The Property Steward supports the GWRLT Stewardship Program by the management, maintenance, and monitoring of all GWRLT fee properties. The Property Steward coordinates and engages GWRLT stewardship volunteers to maintain GWRLT Preserves and implements stewardship workdays to improve visitor experience. The Property Stewards acts as an ambassador for GWRLT when interacting with volunteers, landowners, and visitors, representing GWRLT in the community when on GWRLT conserved lands. The Property Steward works under the direction of the Stewardship Director.
Priority areas of responsibility are listed below. A detailed job description can be found here.
Priority Areas of Responsibility
- Ensure the boundaries of all Fee Properties are marked and monitored on a regular basis.
- Write, implement, and oversee Management Plans for Fee Properties, including forest management, invasive species management, and land-use management.
- Develop and oversee Land Management Practices for Forest Management and Timber Harvesting, including funding and contractors.
- Document Fee Property management activities, projects, and record issues or areas of concern for Stewardship records monthly.
- Monitor public use of GWRLT Preserves, trails and parking areas. Oversee maintenance of such trails, trail structures, parking areas, signage, and plowing.
- Plan and develop new trails for Fee Properties.
- Oversee the building, installation, and maintenance of GWRLT Preserve structures including kiosks, signs, trail marking, and bridges.
- Coordinate, engage, and maintain the GWRLT stewardship volunteer work force, plan volunteer workdays, and oversee volunteer property projects.
- Develop and maintain relations with GWRLT Land Stewards. Provide guidance for Land Steward monitoring visits and reports, offering training for monitoring software.
- Generate maps and documentation for management plans, landscape conservation software, GWRLT Preserve kiosk signs, website interactive maps, GWRLT Pending Projects, and Outreach documentation.
- Associate or bachelor’s degree in Forestry, Environmental Sciences, Natural Resources Management, or related field
- Interest in and commitment to land conservation and resource management
- Ability to work outdoors with limited office time
- Ability to follow directions and work independently
- Ability to work with volunteers and the public
- Understanding land conservation techniques
- Knowledge of forest management practices and invasive species
- Experience laying out, constructing, and maintaining trails
- Ability to find and mark boundaries from surveys
- Proficient with ArcGIS and mapping programs
- Competency with technology; field use of iPad/phone/GPS
- Carpentry skills preferred
This is a year-round non-exempt position of 35 hours per week. Start date: Mid-May 2023. To apply, visit Idealist.org.