Seasonal Environmental Educator
Opening posted: 05/05/2022 | Expires: 05/31/2022
The Fields Pond Audubon Center is seeking an enthusiastic and passionate Environmental Educator who loves working with elementary students. This position will assist with the development and delivery of grant-funded community and school environmental education programs, with a major emphasis on school children in grades PreK-5. These programs are designed to instill fascination, understanding, and responsibility for the natural world and focus on natural history, sustainability, and human impacts. Candidates should have experience and strong skills with elementary-age students; group management; hybrid learning models; program development and delivery. This position may also assist with other sanctuary projects as time allows.
- Teach with grant-funded school and camp programs for area youth
- Support students and families through excellent communication
- Model safe and responsible behavior during outdoor activities
- Assist with the implementation of nature camp programs and special events
- Collaborate with other Maine Audubon staff to achieve outreach and education goals
- Background in education, nature programs, biology, or environmental studies
- Knowledge of Maine’s natural history and ecology
- Skilled with computer software applications and online meeting/teaching platforms
- Have (or able to work toward) current First Aid and CPR certification
- Enthusiastic and passionate about environmental education
- Able to multi-task and manage a variety of responsibilities
- Able to pass a criminal background check
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds when setting up for programs or working on the property
- Able to hike all trails on Fields Pond property as part of programing and stewardship
- Able to use hands/fingers to operate computer and other program equipment
- Able to work outdoors in challenging environmental conditions
Appointment: This position will be limited to 12-15 hours per week from April 25 through June 20 (some flexibility on dates). Additional hours and/or seasonal extensions may be possible as projects, funding, and seasonal workloads expand. Hourly rate: $18/hour
To apply: Please send a letter of intent and resume to Maine Audubon, 216 Fields Pond Road, Holden, Maine 04429, or email We will begin reviewing application immediately. Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis.
Maine Audubon is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status. Any job offers are contingent on a successful criminal background check.