Seasonal Gardener- Abby Garden
Mount Desert Land and Garden Preserve
Opening posted: 04/06/2022 | Expires: 10/31/2022
Position: Seasonal Gardener(s) – Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Garden
Location: Seal Harbor in the Town of Mount Desert, Maine
Scope of Work: The Seasonal Gardener(s) are responsible for assisting daily border and grounds maintenance at the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Garden (Abby Garden). The Abby Garden Manager supervises these positions and, at times, lead by the two Gardener positions. Positions can range from 3 to 6 months, 40-hour workweek, non-exempt (hourly) position. Weekends may be required during the nine weeks that the Abby Garden is open.
The Land & Garden Preserve is a nonprofit organization located in Seal Harbor and Northeast Harbor, Maine. The Preserve’s mission is to share the beauty of historic lands and gardens on Mount Desert Island. The Preserve manages the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Garden, Asticou Azalea Garden, Thuya Garden, Little Long Pond, and over 1,600 acres of natural land.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Assist with the following maintenance tasks:
- Transporting plants, planting, watering, weeding, staking, deadheading, grooming, pruning, blowing leaves.
- Path and road gravel maintenance, ensure paths are raked smooth
- Assist with the daily security of properties (buildings secured, gates closed, and lights off)
- Visitor Open Garden Days staff as needed, direct traffic, park cars, or answer questions
Able to learn new tasks, plants, and efficient working methods.
2. Adhere to OSHA safety standards.
3. Interact with all guests (visitors, members, co-workers, and board directors) in a friendly and professional manner.
4. Work and communicate effectively with a team of professionals.
5. Assist with other projects across the Preserve as needed.
- Some hands-on gardening/groundskeeping experience and education
- Willing to take instruction and learn new techniques
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. and work an 8-hour day outside in all kinds of weather
- Valid driver’s license
- Able to work a flexible schedule in July and August, working evenings and weekends, comes to work each day on
time, ready to work.
- Willingness to interact with the public