Seasonal Gardener- Thuya Garden
Mount Desert Land and Garden Preserve
Opening posted: 04/06/2022 | Expires: 10/31/2022
Position: Seasonal Gardener– Thuya Garden
Location: Northeast Harbor in the Town of Mount Desert, Maine
Scope of Work: The Seasonal Gardener is primarily responsible for assisting with all aspects of garden
maintenance at Thuya Gardens. This position will also support, as needed, the maintenance or special projects occurring on the 30-acre Thuya Property, which includes Thuya Garden, Lodge, Asticou Terraces, and Landing.
The Thuya Garden Manager supervises this position but directly reports to the Head Gardener. This is a four or six-month non-exempt (hourly) position, up to 40 hours per week. Flexible scheduling is required due to weather and weekend work.
The Land & Garden Preserve is a nonprofit organization located in Seal Harbor and Northeast Harbor, Maine. The Preserve’s mission is to share the beauty of historic lands and gardens on Mount Desert Island. The Preserve manages the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Garden, Asticou Azalea Garden, Thuya Garden, Little Long Pond, and over 1,600 acres of natural land.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Responsible for assisting with the following garden maintenance tasks:
- Assist with preparing planting beds, planting, staking, and transporting plants.
- Assist with caring for herbaceous borders: weeding, deadheading, grooming, and watering.
- Assist with path maintenance.
- Adhere to all OSHA safety standards
2. Support and outreach:
- Interact with all guests (visitors, members, co-workers, and board directors) in a friendly and professional manner. Be knowledgeable about the more frequently asked questions about the Thuya Property and the Land & Garden Preserve.
- Assist with Thuya Lodge docent duties as needed.
- Participate in groundskeeping tasks throughout the Thuya Property, as needed.
- Assist with the cleaning and organizing workspaces, restrooms, and tool storage areas.
3. Assist with other projects as directed.
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to lift equipment, materials, and plants over 25 pounds
- Ability to work outdoors in the gardens in a variety of weather conditions
- Knowledge of woody and herbaceous plant identification, care, and organic gardening practices
- Experience working with maintenance and gardening equipment
- Ability to work as part of a productive team
- Ability to positively communicate with and assist various people (staff, visitors, etc.)