Seasonal Land Steward
Woodie Wheaton Land Trust
Opening posted: 02/09/2024 | Expires: 03/15/2024
Join Our Team at Woodie Wheaton Land Trust!
Are you an environmentally conscious individual with a passion for land conservation and stewardship? Do you thrive in outdoor environments and enjoy hands-on work that directly impacts the natural world? The Woodie Wheaton Land Trust (WWLT) is seeking a dedicated Seasonal Land Steward to join our team this summer and play a crucial role in managing and conserving our pristine properties in northeastern Maine.
About Us: At WWLT, we’re committed to preserving and conserving the land and water of the Chiputneticook Lakes Region for present and future generations. With over 60 habitat reserves under our care, we work tirelessly to ensure this extraordinary region remains a thriving ecosystem where communities of people, plants, and wildlife flourish. Check out our YouTube video to see some of our beautiful lands!
Position Overview: As a Seasonal Land Steward with WWLT, you’ll have the opportunity to make a meaningful impact on our conservation efforts. From trail construction and maintenance to property inventory and monitoring, you’ll be at the forefront of preserving the natural beauty of our region. If you’re ready to roll up your sleeves and contribute to a cause you’re passionate about, we want to hear from you! You can read our job description here.
A Week in the Life of a WWLT Seasonal Land Steward:
- Identify and map potential recreational trails, emphasizing unique natural areas.
- Construct and maintain trails with a focus on safety and environmental sustainability.
- Ensure accurate staked surveys and plats of survey for all properties.
- Install, monitor, and update signage for property management and user guidance.
- Collaborate with partners for trail development and improvement projects.
- Lead volunteer work parties and youth crews in stewardship events.
- Maintain positive relationships with neighbors, partners, and volunteers.
- Assist with property planning, use plans, and conservation easement monitoring.
- Document fieldwork and monitoring observations in WWLT’s database.
- Passion for land conservation and environmental stewardship
- Knowledge of trail development, property management, and environmental monitoring
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Familiarity with GIS tools and digital record-keeping preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental science or related field preferred
- Previous experience in land stewardship or conservation projects beneficial
Join Our Conservation Team! If you’re ready to immerse yourself in the beauty of northeastern Maine and make a tangible impact on its conservation this summer, we encourage you to apply for the Seasonal Land Steward position at WWLT. Your dedication and hard work will help ensure the long-term health and vitality of our region’s natural landscapes. Housing in a small studio apartment above our WWLT Center can be provided for the duration of the role. Start and end dates for the role are flexible, but should fall within our summer season (roughly May/June through August/September). This is an hourly, temporary position, paying $18/hr. and working roughly 30-40 hrs./week.
At WWLT, we believe the diverse backgrounds and experiences of the people who make up our community provide a rich cultural fabric, informing our conservation work and ensuring our relevancy in an ever-changing world. We strive to listen and learn. Regardless of our livelihood, political leaning, gender, sexual orientation, race, or ethnicity, we can all find common ground in the ground itself. We encourage people of all backgrounds and beliefs to apply.