Seasonal Properties Assistant
Gilsland Farm Audubon Center, Falmouth
Opening posted: 04/14/2021 | Expires: 05/14/2021
Maine Audubon is a widely respected conservation organization with statewide influence and headquarters located in Falmouth, Maine. Our mission is to conserve Maine’s wildlife and habitat through conservation, education, and community action. We are seeking a Seasonal Properties Assistant at Gilsland Farm in Falmouth, Maine. This is a hands-on skilled position that assists with a variety of property maintenance needs.
The Seasonal Properties Assistant reports to the Interim Properties Manager and is responsible for assisting the Interim Properties Manager with day to day maintenance of Maine Audubon’s Gilsland Farm property, buildings and associated structures and facilities in a manner consistent with Maine Audubon’s mission, in order to provide a welcoming, friendly, safe, and clean environment for visitors and employees. Occasional property maintenance work also takes place off site at other Maine Audubon wildlife sanctuary properties.
Essential and Specific Functions
- Responsible for lawn mowing and weed whacking
- Assist with daily building cleaning, maintenance, and trash and recycling disposal
- Assist with landscape and flower bed maintenance
- Be able to work with a range of volunteers on an as-needed basis
- Assist with general building maintenance projects including minor repairs, painting, and seasonal tasks
- Perform routine maintenance on various mowers, power tools, and other landscape equipment
- Assist as needed in the operations of an on-site native plant nursery and greenhouse
- Knowledge and experience in use of hand tools, lawn mowers, power hand tools, and basic knowledge of maintenance of these tools
- Landscape/horticulture/nursery education or work experience strongly preferred
- Experience working with heavy equipment such as tractors, riding mowers, chain saws, and a variety of power tools
- Experience in general building maintenance functions
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record
- Must be able to pass a background check
- This position has substantial physical demands including the ability to safely handle heavy equipment and materials
- Able to lift objects up to 50 lbs.
- Able to frequently hike natural woodland trails, including all trails at Gilsland Farm
- Able to work outside in all seasons and weather conditions
- Able to climb stairs
- Able to drive passenger vehicles and pickup trucks
Timing and Benefits
- 24 hours per week, flexible scheduling over at least three weekdays
- Part-time position – eligible for pro-rated benefits
- Salary range: $12.50 – $14/hour
Maine Audubon is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Any job offers are contingent on a successful criminal background check.
To apply: Please send resume and cover letter to , with “Properties Assistant” in the subject line. Review of applications will be ongoing with an anticipated start date in May, 2021. Position is open until filled