Seasonal Youth Conservation Corps Crew Leader
Opening posted: 04/21/2021 | Expires: 05/31/2021
Midcoast Conservancy is a next-generation conservation organization with innovative land, water, and community programming. Our mission is to protect vital lands and waters on a scale that matters and to inspire wonder and action on behalf of all species and the earth. With an office in Edgecomb, Maine, our service area includes all of the Medomak River, Sheepscot River, and Damariscotta Lake watersheds.
Midcoast Conservancy is seeking applications for the Youth Conservation Corps Crew Leader position. The Youth Conservation Corps program protects and improves water quality in the region by installing projects that reduce erosion and sources of polluted stormwater runoff using conservation practices. Projects may include planting vegetation buffers, stabilizing shoreline, installing runoff diverters, and landscaping to soak up or divert runoff.
This is a seasonal, full-time, non-exempt position for 14 weeks from mid-May through mid-August. This position does not include housing, however, work-related transportation is provided and work-related mileage is reimbursed when using a personal vehicle. Limited weekend and/or evening work may be required. Crew supervision duties begin the week of June 24.
- Supervise and operate Midcoast Conservancy’s Youth Conservation Corps (YCC) program
- Design, permit, and install conservation practices on private properties to reduce pollution loading to local waterways
- Supervise two part-time youth crew members for 8 weeks who will install conservation practices
- Work collaboratively with other staff to incorporate LakeSmart property assessments, becoming proficient in identifying sources of pollution and recommending solutions
- Communicate professionally and independently with private landowners to solicit projects, establish trust, and design, permit, and install projects on the landowner’s behalf
- Establish relationships with vendors and contractors to procure estimates for goods and services
- Prepare relevant Maine DEP and municipal permits
- Establish weekly schedules with landowners and crew, and ensure completion of administrative tasks
- Train crew members on proper use of hand tools and ensure safety and professionalism at all times
- Work collaboratively as a team and be courteous of landowner requests
The successful candidate will effectively demonstrate the following qualifications:
- Energetic, committed, and responsible, with a positive attitude
- Motivated to work in a close team setting
- Willing and able to conduct manual labor outdoors on a regular basis in a variety of weather conditions
- Experience training, teaching, or supervising others
- Ability to communicate clearly with landowners, crew members, and supervisor
- First aid and CPR certification is highly encouraged
- Must have valid driver’s license and pass a 3-year Driving Record check to use company vehicle
- This position will be the primary supervisor of the 2-person crew on a daily basis and therefore has a high degree of responsibility. The successful candidate will show a strong work ethic in independent and supervisory situations. The candidate must also pass a basic background check.
- Experience with construction is highly recommended, though not required
- Experience in promotions, marketing, or sales is highly recommended, though not required
The Youth Conservation Corps Crew Leader earns $16.00 per hour, paid on a bi-weekly basis.
Health and Safety
All YCC crew members are required to conduct their work in a safe manner, and adhere to the latest federal, state, and organizational health guidelines regarding the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Qualified individuals with disabilities and those from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals and are an equal opportunity employer. To apply, submit a resume and cover letter at https://midcoastconservancy.easyapply.co. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Review of applications will begin May 3, 2021.