Southern Maine Assistant Steward (Seasonal Full Time)
Maine Coast Heritage Trust
Opening posted: 02/09/2024 | Expires: 03/08/2024
- Would you like to spend your summer exploring Maine’s beautiful coast and islands?
- Are you interested in working with an organization whose focus is on protecting and caring for vital lands on the coast and contributing to community well-being in Maine?
- Do you dive into your work with a sense of enthusiasm, curiosity, and determination?
If you answered yes to these questions, maybe you’d love to be an Assistant Seasonal Steward with Maine Coast Heritage Trust!
Maine Coast Heritage Trust (MCHT) is looking for a full-time, seasonal stewardship assistant to work with MCHT stewardship staff based in our Topsham office. The position is for 4 months (mid-May through mid-September with somewhat flexible start and end dates). Applicants must be self-motivated, able to work independently or as part of a team, and willing to work irregular hours (including frequently on weekends). The work will include a variety of stewardship tasks, with an emphasis on helping the regional stewards based out of the Topsham office manage MCHT island and mainland preserves. Applicants should also be familiar with coastal navigation and boat handling, and willing to travel throughout the Kittery to the Belfast area.
- Preserve monitoring and maintenance, including trail building and maintenance, boundary marking, field maintenance, and interactions with the public.
- Help conduct scheduled public events and volunteer workdays. on MCHT preserves.
- Work closely with regional stewards on larger projects, such as invasive species control.
- Help maintain equipment including MCHT work boats, trucks, and tools.
- Data entry and record keeping
Skills and Experience Sought:
- Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Good basic seamanship skills and experience operating power boats strongly preferred.
- GIS/mapping experience desired
- Volunteer coordination experience.
- Ability and desire to perform hard physical labor in remote locations, including heavy lifting.
- Experience operating and maintaining chain saws, brush saws, and hand tools desired.
- Experience working with invasive plants and Maine Board of Pesticide Control certification desired.
- Flexibility and good sense of humor when the weather is bad and the bugs are biting
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Valid driver’s license and use of a vehicle.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands:
Field work is performed outdoors in all weather conditions and requires climbing, walking, bending, crouching, lifting, reaching, and other physical capabilities. May operate GPS, boats/marine vessels, trucks, tractor, trailer, lawnmower, chain saw, and related power tools, hand tools, and equipment. Regular travel is required. MCHT shares work trucks that are available for employee use, but in the event that the Assistant Steward needs to use their own vehicle, mileage will be reimbursed at the Maine state rate. Some work is performed in a normal office environment not subject to extremes of noise, temperature, odor, etc. Operates computers, printers, and other office equipment.
This is a seasonal position (approximately May thru October). The rate of pay will be $18.00 per hour. PTO is provided (accrued at 1 hour per every 40 hours worked.)
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and is subject to change by the employer, as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Maine Coast Heritage Trust does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. We are an equal opportunity employer dedicated to creating an inclusive culture where employees from diverse backgrounds can thrive and support our mission.
*External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.