Southern Maine Stewardship Assistant (seasonal full-time)
Maine Coast Heritage Trust
Opening posted: 02/05/2021 | Expires: 03/03/2021
Maine Coast Heritage Trust (MCHT) is looking for a full time, seasonal stewardship assistant to work with MCHT stewardship staff based in our Topsham office. The position is for 6 months (early May through October with flexible start and end dates). Applicants must be self-motivated, able to work independently or as part of a team, and willing to work irregular hours (including frequently on weekends). The work will include a variety of stewardship tasks, with an emphasis on helping the regional stewards based out of the Topsham office manage MCHT island and mainland preserves. Applicants should also be familiar with coastal navigation and boat handling, and willing to travel throughout the Kittery to Belfast area.
- Preserve monitoring and maintenance, including trail work, boundary marking, field maintenance, and interactions with the public
- Conservation easement monitoring, under the supervision of regional stewards
- Help conduct scheduled public events and volunteer work days on MCHT preserves
- Work closely with regional stewards on larger projects, such as invasive species control
- Help maintain equipment including MCHT work boats, trucks, and tools
- Data entry and record keeping
Skills and Experience Sought:
- Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Good basic seamanship skills and experience operating power boats strongly preferred
- GIS/mapping experience preferred
- Volunteer coordination experience
- Ability and desire to perform hard physical work in remote locations
- Experience operating and maintaining chain saws, brush saws, and hand tools desired
- Experience working with invasive plants and Maine Board of Pesticide Control certification desired
- Flexibility and good sense of humor when the weather is bad and the bugs are biting
- Valid driver’s license and use of a vehicle
Field work is performed outdoors in all weather conditions and requires climbing, walking, bending, crouching, lifting, reaching, and other physical capabilities. Regular travel is required. Some work is performed in a normal office environment not subject to extremes of noise, temperature, odor, etc. Office based work includes operating computer, printer, and other office equipment.
SALARY: The Southern Maine Stewardship Assistant will be paid $16/hour on a bi-weekly basis. Work-related travel will be reimbursed at 56 cents per mile.
Maine Coast Heritage Trust does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. We are an equal opportunity employer dedicated to creating an inclusive culture where employees from diverse backgrounds can thrive and support our mission.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
*External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.