York Land Trust
Opening posted: 08/25/2021 | Expires: 10/01/2021
York Land Trust, a non-profit, land conservation organization based in York, Maine seeks an energetic, self-motivated, team player for the position of Stewardship Assistant. Founded in 1986, York Land Trust (YLT) has over 2,500 acres in its conservation holdings, including seven public nature preserves. To learn more about York Land Trust, please visit www.yorklandtrust.org
Stewardship Assistant Job Description
The Stewardship Assistant will be responsible for conservation easement monitoring and a variety of land management activities associated with York Land Trust’s conserved properties. The Stewardship Assistant will have a role in organizing and maintaining land and easement data, files and records and will assist in creating maps for land management, public access and educational purposes. The Stewardship Assistant will report to YLT’s Stewardship Director.
- Maintenance of grounds, trails, and nature preserves; assist with development of new public access trails.
- Monitor YLT conservation easements and preserves and complete monitoring reports.
- Assist in the creation and updating of conservation easement baseline documentation.
- Provide training and support for volunteers carrying out land management activities.
- Help with projects to restore and enhance habitats and control invasive species.
- Use ARCGIS to create maps for publication in YLT’s materials and at YLT’s nature preserves.
- Help ensure that land management tools, equipment and machinery are properly maintained.
- Organize and maintain YLT’s electronic and physical stewardship files, data and records.
Qualifications, Skills, Competencies and Requirements:
- A Bachelor’s Degree and at least 2 years of experience working in the field of land conservation, parks and recreation, or natural resources management is preferred.
- Experience and confidence working outdoors in challenging conditions including thick brush, off trail
travel, exposure to insects, and variable weather conditions.
- Solid written and oral communications skills.
- Fluency with Microsoft Office suite, email, and smart phone applications.
- Basic ARCGIS mapping skills are preferred.
- Some experience operating lawn mowers, weed whackers, chainsaws, and other hand and power tools is
- Occasional weekend and evening work is required.
- A personal vehicle and valid driver’s license are required.
- An interest in learning and taking on greater responsibilities as appropriate.
This is a part-time (20 hrs./wk.), year-round position. Annual salary is $20K. Benefits include paid vacation time and a retirement contribution.
How to apply: