Great Works Regional Land Trust
Opening posted: 02/11/2020 | Expires: 03/13/2020
Great Works Regional Land Trust serves the six towns of Eliot, South Berwick, Berwick, North Berwick, Wells, and Ogunquit, Maine with offices at Beach Plum Farm in Ogunquit. A member-supported, nonprofit organization, GWRLT’s mission is to conserve the value of our area’s natural, historic, agricultural, forestry, scenic, and recreational resources. Established in 1986, the Trust has completed 128 projects protecting over 6000 acres and is supported by over 1000 members.
GWRLT now seeks a temporary, full-time (32 hours/week) Stewardship Assistant to help manage and maintain those properties throughout our six towns in Southern Maine.
Purpose of Position: The Stewardship Assistant’s primary responsibility is to assist in the management, maintenance, and monitoring of all GWRLT fee-owned and conservation easement properties. The Stewardship Assistant is supervised by the GWRLT Executive Director and works at the direction of the Stewardship Director. In this capacity, the Stewardship Assistant works closely with the Stewardship Director, Stewardship Committee, and GWRLT volunteers. This is a professional position of 32 hours per week, May-October.
- Monitor fee properties by walking trails, checking parking areas, checking condition of signs and kiosks, filling pamphlet boxes
- Walk boundaries of fee properties for routine monitoring checking for condition of boundary marking, GWRLT signs, and any encroachment issues
- Assist with mapping, management plans, and baseline data for fee properties
- Assist in the annual monitoring of Easement properties, writing easement monitoring reports, and maintaining records
- Assist with volunteer workdays, maintaining trails, cutting new trails, invasive species management, property maintenance, and other stewardship work projects
- Other stewardship tasks assigned by the Stewardship Director
- BS or Associates degree in environmental sciences, natural resources management, ecology, forestry, or related field
- An interest in and commitment to the land conservation and environmental mission of the land trust
- Ability and interest to do field work with little office time
- Ability to follow directions and work independently
- Must have own transportation to work sites
Preferred skills and experience:
- Familiarity with ArcGIS or similar mapping system
- Knowledge of forest management practices
- Competency with technology—field use of iPad/phone/GPS
- Capable of finding and marking boundaries from surveys
- Experience laying out, constructing and maintaining trails
- Understanding of land conservation techniques
- Ability to work with volunteers and the public
- Start date: May 4, 2020
- Funded through October 30, 2020
- Applications accepted through Friday, March 13th
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to Danielle Olsen via email at . Add “Stewardship Assistant” to subject line. For questions regarding the position, please call Jill Crosbie at (207) 646-3604 or email .
Please visit www.gwrlt.org for more information about Great Works Regional Land Trust and our projects and properties.