Falmouth Land Trust
Opening posted: 07/28/2020 | Expires: 08/31/2020
The Falmouth Land Trust (FLT), a small but growing land trust based in southern Maine, seeks qualified candidates for its Stewardship Coordinator. Formed in 1981, FLT’s mission is to conserve the scenic, natural, and working landscapes including forests, wildlife habitat, farmland, scenic viewsheds, and other natural areas, in Falmouth. FLT also works closely with the town of Falmouth and other partners in advancing open space access in our community. FLT has approximately 16 preserves and 36 easements.
The Stewardship Coordinator is an integral member of the team at Falmouth Land Trust, reporting to the Executive Director. The Stewardship Coordinator implements the stewardship of all conservation easements and fee lands. She/he manages trail upkeep, signage, vegetation on trails, and an active stewardship program. She/he occasionally will lead events and training concerning land stewardship. The stewardship coordinator will also be responsible for the monitoring of all conserved and fee owned lands as well as the maintenance of records pertaining to those lands. She/he will write and update management plans and implement them. She/he will design trails, build kiosks (with volunteers) and implement an engagement program with local citizens on conservation lands.
The ideal candidate is passionate about land conservation and the protection of natural lands. She/he will have familiarity with land protection tools such as conservation easements and land use planning, a degree in ecology, natural resource management, or related field, knowledge of Maine’s plant and animal communities, strong communication and organizational skills, strong computer skills in the use of Microsoft Office and ArcGIS mapping software, and strong GPS skills. The candidate must have his/her own vehicle for daily travel and be able to work independently as well as with volunteers and other staff members.
- Maintain complete digital and physical files on properties and new projects.
- Review old easement for compliance. Assist in drafting easement language for potential easement donations and oversee the review of draft easements.
- Work with, and inspire, volunteers.
- Do fieldwork for and prepare all baseline documentation reports for projects.
- Chair the Stewardship Committee meetings and submit monthly written reports to the Stewardship Committee for review and action.
- Produce maps and other materials for Kiosks and public outreach.
- Be available on occasional evenings and weekends.
- Be a self-starter and work with minimal supervision and input
- Work on special projects and complete other tasks as required by the Executive Director.
- An outgoing and friendly personality with the ability to easily meet new people and to quickly earn the confidence of landowners and user groups.
- A working knowledge of land protection and stewardship tools.
- GPS mapping, map production skills and data gathering skills
- A graduate or bachelor’s degree in biology, ecology, natural resource management, or related field.
- Knowledge of real estate and land transactions.
- Good verbal, written communication and organizational skills.
- Public speaking skills
- A self-starter with the ability to initiate new programs in order to achieve the goals of the Land Trust.
- Ability to work with and through a committee to develop approaches to land conservation in designated areas.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software along with strong Global Positioning Systems (GPS) skills.
- Must have the physical capability to traverse uneven terrain while performing extensive fieldwork.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and dependable transportation.
The office and job are based in Falmouth Maine and benefits include a flexible work week and mileage reimbursement. This is a 20 hour a week job at an hourly rate commensurate with experience.
Deadline: Open until filled but the ideal candidate will be able to start work by September 15th.
To Apply: Interested Candidates should send cover letter and CV, with the names and contact info for 2-3 references, to [email protected]