Winter Program Coordinator
Western Foothills Land Trust
Opening posted: 11/13/2023 | Expires: 12/31/2023
Part-time, mid-December ‘23 through March ‘24
The Western Foothills Land Trust (WFLT) is a non-profit that protects over 9,000 acres in the greater Oxford Hills and manages 39 miles of recreational trails on 8 preserves. One preserve, Roberts Farm in Norway, includes groomed Nordic trails, a warming hut, and an active winter schedule of events and programs. WFLT is a growing organization that seeks to hire a motivated individual to oversee our Winter Programs. The Winter Program Coordinator will work approximately 20-25 hours/week overseeing the volunteers of our warming hut and staffing of winter programs and events. The Roberts Farm warming hut offers free lending of Nordic ski and snowshoe equipment and offers an inside space for gathering pre- or post-ski. Roberts Farm also is host to various MSAD 17 school programs, including being the location for the middle and high school Nordic ski team practices and home races. The Warming Hut is open 1-4 PM weekdays and 10-4 on weekends, snow conditions permitting. WFLT is an equal opportunity employer.
Areas of responsibility include:
- Managing operations of the Warming Hut, including being responsible for handling equipment lending, scheduling and supervising volunteers who will also staff the Warming Hut, enforcing rules and restrictions, and being a point person in the case of emergencies.
- Working with the Executive Director and the Community Outreach Director to fulfill the outreach/communications and program needs of WFLT in the community, supporting all public-facing events with organizing, planning, related communications, and follow-up.
- Deliver, or assist in delivery, of WFLT’s winter programming, which may include Nordic ski clinics, Skijor races, Biathlon races, and After-School Ski Program and coordinate with other organizations’ programming needs (i.e. school district, Bill Koch League, Maine Adaptive).
- Help with organization, registration, and volunteer staffing of the Snowshoe Festival.
- Be an ambassador of the land trust to the public by offering a welcoming atmosphere and providing information. Communicate issues of public concern to the Executive Director.
- Sell WFLT branded merchandise at the Warming Hut.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Demonstrated leadership, communication, and task-management
- Enthusiasm for winter outdoor recreation and the western foothills area.
- Ability to work independently to create schedules and manage people.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability and enthusiasm for leading groups and working with people of all ages and abilities.
- Knowledge of outdoor skills (particularly Nordic skiing and snowshoeing), natural resource systems, and western Maine a
- Experience with nonprofit organizations and working in communities useful, but not
- Must meet public school requirements for background check and volunteer training.
- Current CPR and Basic First Aid a plus.
- Legally able to work in the United States (no visa sponsorship)
- Availability weekday afternoons and weekend days.
- Anticipated start date of December 18, 2023
- $20-$25/hour depending on qualifications.
How to Apply:
If you think this position would be a good fit for you, send a letter of interest, resume, and two references to Kacy Bailey . Please use “Winter Program Coordinator” as the email subject line. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.