Youth Conservation Corps Member
Friends of the Cobbossee Watershed
Opening posted: 02/09/2024 | Expires: 09/30/2024
The Friends of the Cobbossee Watershed (Friends) are seeking local high school and college youth who are at
least 16 years of age during the summer as members of our Youth Conservation Corps (YCC). The purpose of
the YCC is to reduce sources of pollution through our “Slow-the-Flow” program; specifically, by completing
shoreline stabilization and erosion control projects at selected sites. With 28 major lakes, streams, and ponds
within 217 square miles, projects range from Torsey Pond in Kents Hill to Pleasant Pond in Richmond.
A typical YCC team consists of 6-8 youth members with a program coordinator to oversee the team and
manage the engineering, permitting, material procuring, and scheduling of projects. The 2024 program will last 8 weeks, 30 +/- hours per week, starting in June and ending before the start of the high school fall sports season – mid-August. Pay is $16.00/hour.
The nature of the work is physical and often challenging, but also fun, valuable, and personally rewarding.
Weather can affect the work – sometimes it will be hot and buggy, sometimes cold and rainy. As all work is
done on the shore of a lake, getting wet is also a likelihood. Work will involve lifting heavy rocks and
transporting and placing rock, mulch, and crushed stone in sometimes steep or uneven terrain
Training is on the job, so prior experience is not as important as the desire to protect our lakes.
Skills and attributes for this position:
• Willingness and ability to work as a team, including a cooperative and supportive attitude. Sense of comradery and humor a bonus!
• Physical ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
• Willingness to get dirty and wet
• Good people and conflict resolution skills
• Conscientious and dedicated work ethic with attention to safety
• Appropriate behavior and speech with property owners
• Reliable transportation to and from the job site
• Individual Preparedness: Old pair of sneakers or other shoes that can get wet and dirty, old shorts/pants, food (snacks, lunch, lots of water), sun lotion, bug spray. T-shirts provided.