Land Steward (temporary)
Brunswick-Topsham Land Trust
Opening posted: 01/13/2020 | Expires: 02/14/2020
The position is 40 hours per week from May through October. Compensation is $20 per hour.
The Brunswick-Topsham Land Trust was founded in 1985 to conserve the remarkable diversity of the natural heritage of Brunswick, Topsham and Bowdoin. With the conservation of over 2,800 acres of natural areas, the Land Trust is actively pursuing its mission while maintaining 24 miles of trails, managing a seasonal Farmers’ Market and Community Garden, and collaborating with numerous partners in the area to further conservation and community. To learn more about BTLT, please go to https://www.btlt.org/mission/.
This position is part field work, part office based work that will support the Land Trust’s stewardship and lands work and help to maintain, monitor, and manage the protected lands and trails of the Brunswick, Topsham, and Bowdoin region.
- Create and update management plans/baseline documents, including associated field work and mapping, for prospective land projects and recently acquired fee properties
- Read surveys and navigate boundaries to flag and install permanent markers on fee and easement properties
- Assist with property monitoring training, monitoring and report writing (September – November)
- Manage and engage volunteers to complete trail work, property monitoring, and other stewardship tasks
- Assist with coordinating trail work, securing materials and tools
- Conduct mapping and mechanical control of invasive plants (i.e. cutting, digging, pulling) as applicable
- Work with other seasonal staff (Regional Field Team)
- Complete other stewardship tasks as needed
- Create and update baseline documents, including associated field work and mapping, for potential conserved lands projects
- Coordinate project tracking and record keeping of lands documents
- Assist with other lands tasks as needed
- Driver’s license and reliable personal transportation
- Ability to lift and carry heavy materials and equipment over rough ground
- Willingness to work in sometimes adverse conditions including heat, rain, biting insects, and difficult terrain
- Ability to use hand tools and power tools in the field
- Ability to work responsibly, safely, and at times independently
- A positive attitude and passion for land conservation
- Previous experience in a stewardship or trail building position
- Experience using ArcGIS and making maps
- Experience using a chainsaw
- Knowledge of local flora and fauna
Brunswick-Topsham Land Trust is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected factors.