News and Announcements
Recent and archived MLTN updates
- Where Can You Get Outside? Find Your Land Trust Preserves March 27, 2020 - If done in accordance with appropriate social distancing, getting outside during this challenging time can be a safe way to stay healthy, relieve stress, and recharge. With more than 600,000 acres in preserves located around the state, Maine land trusts are a great resource for expanding one’s list of possible destinations. As a bonus, many…
- Considering COVID-19 March 16, 2020 - To all our colleagues, partners and friends, Conference Cancelled By now, it will be no surprise that Maine Coast Heritage Trust has to cancel the 2020 Maine Land Conservation Conference. Although exceedingly disappointing, we must put the well-being of our communities first, which means complying with state and federal recommendations not to hold large gatherings.…
- L.L.Bean Grants Support Stewardship Efforts Across Maine December 20, 2019 - During this season of giving, we want to highlight the generosity of our long-time partner L.L.Bean, who supports land trusts – and the people they serve – in every corner of the state. The L.L.Bean Maine Land Trust Grant Program started back in 2004 and has awarded more than $300,000 to land conservation groups since…
- Time to Update Your Land Trust Information December 5, 2019 - Thanks to our new website, your trust can sign up for an account so that you can make changes to your page at any time.
- New Laws for E-Bikes Take Effect November 21, 2019 - E-bikes are the latest addition to the always growing list of users on land trust trails. This summer, a bill was passed in the Maine legislature that clearly defines three classes of e-bikes, provides guidance on where they may travel, outlines protections for consumers, and puts in place safety protections for children. We found this…
- Workshop Proposal Deadline Has Passed October 16, 2019 - We are now accepting workshop proposals in all topic areas for the 2020 Maine Land Conservation Conference
- Governor Announces Maine Climate Council September 25, 2019 - Last week, Governor Mills announced the membership of the Maine Climate Council.
- LMF Bond Proposal to Resurface in 2020 September 4, 2019 - In late August, the Legislature failed to enact an LMF Bond for the voters to consider this November. While clearly a setback, this is not the end of the story. LMF supporters will bring a bond proposal back in January 2020 and continue to press to see it sent to the voters, perhaps as early as June 2020.
- Maine Coastweek 2019 August 15, 2019 - Coastweek is a national celebration of our coastal resources, as well as a part of the one-day International Coastal Cleanup. In Maine, the annual Coastal Cleanup is the biggest volunteer event in the state.
- For the Love of the Land: Where Art and Land Conservation Meet August 14, 2019 - Last weekend, Cape Elizabeth Land Trust and painter Eric Hopkins partnered to celebrate love of place. Hopkins, known for his aerial depictions of the islands and ocean, talked about his commitment to preserving public access to the Maine landscape as he greeted visitors to his one-day show at Ocean House Gallery on August 10th, 2019
- Land Trusts Celebrate the Season November 28, 2018 - Maine land trusts celebrate the holiday season in myriad ways this December, and invite you to join in the fun
- New LMF Grants Boost Conservation, Recreation September 18, 2018 - For the first time since 2010, Maine’s award-winning Land for Maine’s Future (LMF) program grants voter-approved bond funds to land conservation projects around the state
- Annual Gathering of Land Stewards September 18, 2018 - Thirty-five land stewards from all over Maine gather in Harpswell on Oct. 1st to share ideas, problem solve, and learn from collective expertise
- Becoming Part of the Community Fabric September 18, 2018 - At their annual meeting, the Damariscotta Region Chamber of Commerce presented the Community Service Organization of the Year award to the Damariscotta River Association
- Diverse Task Force Forms to Develop Conservation Roadmap June 4, 2018 - Twenty individuals and organizations have formed a task force to shape the next generation of Maine land conservation, coming on the heels of three decades of unprecedented accomplishments
- 35th Maine Land Conservation Conference Breaks the Mold April 4, 2018 - 35th annual Maine Land Conservation Conference was completely redesigned with different venue; 400 attended despite snow storm
- Land Conservation Loses a Friend September 12, 2017 - Maine Coast Heritage Trust remembers Alan Hutchinson, executive director of the Forest Society of Maine of the last 20 years, and his extensive conservation work
- Kennebec Estuary Land Trust Wins Best of Maine Award July 13, 2017 - Readers of Downeast Magazine selected Kennebec Estuary Land Trust as Best Land Trust
- State Legislature Affirms Land Trust Tax Exemption May 25, 2017 - Over the past two days, both bodies of the Maine Legislature considered LD 727, a bill that called for the elimination of tax exemption eligibility for land trusts
- Stewarding the Next Generation of Maine Conservationists November 7, 2016 - This year Maine Coast Heritage Trust launched its Conservation Internship Program as part of broader goals to foster connections between young people and protected land, and encourage the next generation of conservationists in Maine
- Land Trusts, River Group Join Forces to Preserve Presumpscot Watershed October 12, 2016 - On October 2, 2016, Presumpscot Regional Land Trust, Windham Land Trust, and Presumpscot River Watch voted to merge as one organization
- Celebrating a Century of Conservation and Looking to the Future July 15, 2016 - This summer, in celebration of Acadia’s 100th year, Maine Coast Heritage Trust is hosting a lecture about the future of land conservation in the MDI region with nationally recognized speaker and conservationist Peter Forbes
- Partnership with L.L. Bean Improves Access to Conserved Lands December 9, 2015 - In partnership with LL Bean, Maine Coast Heritage Trust awarded six grants to enhance public access to conserved lands with a focus on trail expansion
- Maine Electorate Supports Releasing Conservation Funds October 16, 2015 - Data from new poll finds that Maine Democrats, Independents, and Republicans, from every part of the state, overwhelmingly support the release of voter-approved Land for Maine’s Future funds
- Governor’s Veto Sustained, New Bill Enacted July 16, 2015 - Today, July 16, 2015, Maine's legislature failed to override the Governor’s veto of LD 1378, legislation that would have taken politics out of voter-approved state bond issues
- Dr. Owen Grumbling Recognized with Espy Land Heritage Award April 28, 2015 - Maine Coast Heritage Trust named Dr. Owen Grumbling as recipient of the 2015 Espy Land Heritage Award for exemplary conservation efforts in Maine
- Governor LePage Withholding Land Conservation Funding March 10, 2015 - For the second time in three years, Governor Paul LePage is holding up voter-approved bond funds from the State’s Land for Maine’s Future Program
- Conference Delivers Inspiration and Perspective September 18, 2014 - 2014 annual Maine Land Conservation Conference brought almost 450 attendees together for informative and thought-provoking experience
- Maine Court Ruling Clarifies that Land Trusts are Eligible for Property Tax Exemption August 8, 2014 - Maine Supreme Judicial Court ruled yesterday that land conservation is a charitable purpose under the Maine Property Tax Exemption statute; a boon for the Maine land trust community
- Coalition and Community Pull Together to Produce Regional Trail Map June 1, 2014 - Nearly 30 sponsors helped revive the popular Cobscook Trail Guide for public benefit and use