Standards and Practices Program
Over the years, the Maine Land Trust Network has managed grant-funded programs on behalf of its members. The following program is no longer active and is archived here for reference.
Maine Coast Heritage Trust designed the Standards and Practices Program to support and advance the operational quality and sustainability of land trusts in Maine through the implementation of a select set of Land Trust Standards and Practices. Maine land trusts were accepted into this program as funding permitted.
The Standards and Practices Program was not a grants program and no direct funding was provided. Rather, the Program awarded up to 70 hours of direct consultant support, provided over a two-year period by Caroline Pryor, Maureen Hoffman and Paul Hoffman, all experienced land trust practitioners and trainers. Each trust was assigned one consultant, but all were on call to help other trusts with specific needs.
- A Maine Land Trust Network (MLTN) member trust
- All volunteer or less than one FTE staffed organization
- Not a current participant in the Maine Excellence Program or have participated in the Nonprofit Effectiveness Initiative, held earlier this year
- Tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code
- Initial meeting: Following a trust’s acceptance into the program, Caroline Pryor met with the board and staff to discuss the scope and timing of the project.
- Assessment: Caroline Pryor worked with the trust on an assessment of its strength in the following four areas, using the relevant sections of the Assessing Your Organization workbook published by the Land Trust Alliance:
- Evaluating and selecting conservation projects
- Procedures for sound transactions and recordkeeping
- Stewardship practices and capacity
- Financial asset management
- Plan and implementation: Caroline Pryor and the trust worked together to identify the Practices that would be the focus of the project and created and implemented a plan to bring the trust into compliance with those Practices.