Opening posted: 03/10/2020 | Expires: 05/01/2020
Job Type: Full Time
Specific Location: Augusta, Maine
Start Date: Negotiable
About Viles Arboretum
We provide and promote a natural environment with a wide range of nature-based learning opportunities interconnected with/by ever-changing public and school focused programs, field trips, events, and exhibits. We focus on interactive, creative and hands-on resources and teaching with a focus on combining healthy outdoor activity, community engagement and an appreciation of the role nature plays in all of our lives with the fun of learning. We believe that everyone has a natural ability to understand the nature of our world through their own eyes and by using their own intellect and this guides everything we do. All of this takes place on our 224 acre preserve with six miles of trails, the second longest wetland boardwalk in Maine, twenty botanical collections from around the world and Maine’s largest publicly accessible nature inspired sculpture exhibit.
The Executive Director provides leadership, strategy and inspiration to enable the Viles Arboretum to achieve its mission. S/He manages the day-to-day operations of the organization, and is supported by Board of Directors, and a group of volunteers. S/He oversees membership and outreach programs, and administrative operations of the organization. S/He is actively involved in fundraising and marketing activities and represents Viles at community events. S/He supervises administrative staff, and volunteers, as needed. S/He manages and complies with the annual operating budget. The position has a competitive salary based on experience and qualifications, including a flexible work schedule. S/He reports directly to the Board President and works out of the office on 153 Hospital Street in Augusta.
Position Type: 40 hours weekly – full time
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a relevant field.
- Commitment to nature, conservation and our natural world.
- Work experience preferred in conservation or in nonprofit management or executive position.
- Ability to manage conservation projects, botanical collection care and the multidimensional needs of the Arboretum.
- Experience with maintaining properties, including physical trail work and minor infrastructure repairs, mowing, tractor use, chain saw, etc.
- Experience in fundraising required, staffing fundraising campaigns a plus.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- A high level of motivation, excellent work ethic, and time management skills.
- Ability to work independently and to bring various volunteers/constituents together.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including on occasion evenings and weekends for special events and activities.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Qualified individuals should send a letter of interest and resume to Viles Arboretum – Search Committee, 153 Hospital Street, Augusta ME 04330. This posting will remain open until filled.